Monday, January 25, 2016

Rewriting the Code

Outliers have a gift:  we can often (not always but often) rewrite our own code.

What I mean is that we have the presence of mind, the ability of metacognition, to diagnose, understand, create a solution, then implement the solution for many maladaptive behaviours and thought patterns.

For example, one person I know was crippled with anxiety and could not even leave the house.  An understanding about the connection between mind and body, a healthy understanding of "garbage in, garbage out" in terms of stimulating various hormones, the knowledge of how the plasticity of the brain allows "rewriting" via conscious effort of thought, and a good dose of faith and wisdom allowed my friend to go from "housebound" to "fly across the planet".

Don't ignore this ability in you.  If you have a problem, analyze it.  Understand it.  Understand your motives.  You know how to do this, you have been analyzing things since birth.

Then create a plan.

Then gather resources.

Then implement that plan.  Remember to monitor yourself just as you would any other test subject.  Being objective about what you are doing enables you to identify faulty patterns and correct them, but you have to decide which you prefer:  the faulty, but familiar, pattern or the more difficult path to the solution.


1 comment:

  1. I really like this. It is such a good reminder to me. I often am guilty of listening to others and giving their opinions far more weight than I should, and of tending to neglect myself - self awareness right through. The Lord is teaching me to a) go to Him first and foremost, to bathe in His presence as much as possible but also to run to Him for advice and opinions, instead of others, but b) to be more self aware. Because often, the person He has best equipped to help me, is me.

    ReplyDelete